lipservice is an all-out Jimmy Fallon style lip sync battle (seen this epic video?) for charity, held March 28, 2015 at the Imperial, in Vancouver BC. As a bonus to the hilarity on stage, lipservice is raising funds for imagine1day, a local Vancouver charity creating global change through their education-focused work in Ethiopia. Come support (heckle) a friend who’s gracing the stage, or get the heck up there yourself! This night of syncing, drinking, dancing and changing the world simply should not be missed.
It’s a movement powered by endless creative energy to help Ethiopia become the prosperous nation it aims to be. They work directly on the ground with partners at the government and community level to transform their leadership and help get the job done. That means they don’t just build schools, they create quality education in a holistic way through innovative thinking and a commitment to accountability. It means they focus on creating community ownership and making everything they do sustainable.
ANYONE CAN ENTER
All you need to do is prepare a 30-60 second lip sync performance to 2 winning songs of your choice (1 for each round in case you advance). You can enter as a solo performer, or as team of up to five members.
• There will be two rounds of competition.
• Round 1 will feature head-to-head competitions between 2 performers (individuals and teams will compete together). The winning performer/team (as voted by the audience) from each head-to-head battle will be eligible for Round 2.
• From the half that remains, our panel of three celebrity guest judges will choose their top 5 favourite performances to move into the final round. This final round will then perform for a second time. They can perform the same song or a different song depending on what they have prepared. After the 5 performances, the judges will deliberate and announce a winner based on which performer(s) received the highest overall score.
HOW TO ENTER
While there is no entry fee, there is a modest fundraising requirement for individual or team performers, based upon the size of your team. To make this a piece of cake, we’ll set you up with all the fundraising tools you’ll need!
WHAT’S IN IT FOR ME?
• You get to contribute to a great cause while having fun (and isn’t it fun to take a chance and step outside of your comfort zone?)!
• All of your friends and family will be amazed at your mad lip-sync skills (because you’ll force them all to be there for moral support).
• There will be all sorts of rad performer prizes including prizes for: 1st Place grand prize, 2nd Place prize, 3rd Place prize, Top Team Fundraisers, Top Indy Fundraiser, and Socialite prize (for the performer/team who brings the most friends to the event).
A LITTLE INSPIRATION FROM JIMMY
Born as an idea in 2013, lipservice was formed with the intention to create amazing and memorable social experiences in which people can feel good knowing that a night of pure fun can translate to tangible contribution in communities across the world.
Embarrassing nickname… RKelly, it takes some people longer than others to realize it but once it clicks there is no forgetting it.
Vice… Sugar and naps.
Passion… Outdoor adventure and events. Even better when combined!
First CD owned… Millennium, Backstreet Boys. Still a classic right?
Default drink… Guinness
Spirit animal… Otter
Hidden talent… I am double jointed in my shoulders so I can roll my arms all the way around. Equally disgusting and amazing.
Favorite word… Serendipity
Best spot in Van City… I love going to the Kozmik Zoo on Sunday nights to watch Vancouver’s funniest improv group the Sunday Service.
When I can’t sleep… I can always sleep.
Lip sync song of choice… Mariah Carey, Fantasy. Obviously.
imagine1day… is creating positive change and it seems crazy not to get involved.
Embarrassing nickname…Piggy. That one came from my loving older sister and may have just about scarred me for life!
Vice…Orange is the New Black. Yo Netflix, Season 2??
Passion…Traveling with purpose (and leading sweet trips to Ethiopia! Want to come?)
First CD owned…Brian Adams, So Far So Good :/
Default drink…Mega obsessed with Campari these days!
Spirit Animal…Golden Retriever (but a bit more bad ass).
Hidden talent…Synchronized skating.
Favourite word…Tubule (I’m a biology nerd).
Best spot in Van City…Loving ‘Ask for Luigi’ right now!
When I can’t sleep…It’s usually because I’ve got a million things running marathons through my mind. Right now, I’m probably obsessing about how lipservice is going to be the best night of 2014!!
Lip sync song of choice…Anything that lends well to lots of choreographed dance moves.
imagine1day…when people can lip sync and change the world all at once!
Embarrassing nickname… Moose. Labelled such by my brother as a kid, as it was also the nickname of Mark Messier, my favourite hockey player.
First CD owned…Weird Al Yankovic Greatest Hits Volume 2
Default drink…Beer, often preceded by an Old Fashioned.
Hidden talent…Still trying to find it!
Best spot in Van City…Too many. Food: The General Public. Other: Queen E Park (so much to do!!).
When I can’t sleep…Wikipedia rabbit holes for hours.
Lip sync song of choice…Anything by Milli Vanilli.
imagine1day…Sets an example for selflessness and giving that we all could emulate. Grateful to be able to support them.
# of competitors
number of kids imagine1day currently impacts
score out of 10 we want your performance to earn
people attended lipservice 2014
how much we raised for imagine1day in 2014
# of kids in Ethiopia we can impact
percent of your friends you should bring next year
# of other places you’d rather be during lipservice 2